Episode 36: I Had to Cure Myself: A Story of Grit and Courage w/ Doug Lindsay
At 21, Doug Lindsay, Founder of The Lindsay Center, got sick.
He got so sick, in fact, that he remained bedbound and homebound for the next 11 years.
And seemingly no one in the medical community had answers for him.
So, he took matters into his own hands, and because of his unbelievable grit and determination, he diagnosed his own rare condition and came up with a cure.
In this episode, he shares his incredible, inspirational story.
- The frustrations of having an undiagnosed rare disease
- How Doug uncovered a treatment for his condition
- His advocacy efforts for the rare disease community
- How the study of rare diseases leads to exponential medical innovation overall
Resources mentioned during the podcast:
- Institute for Public Health – Washington University in St. Louis
- Institute for Clinical and Translational Sciences – Washington University in St. Louis
- PCORI: Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute
- Stanford Medicine X
To hear this interview and more like it, subscribe to Heroes of Healthcare on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, or wherever you listen to podcasts.
Listening on a desktop & can’t see the links? Just search for Heroes of Healthcare in your favorite podcast player.